Nothing warms you up on a cold rainy day like a warm bowl of soup. I feel comforted just thinking about it!
This creamy pumpkin soup is a delicious and decadent soup with a secret ingredient 😉 The wonderful texture is created by using a hand held immersion blender to cream all of the ingredients to perfection then you add some coconut milk to the mix to enhance the flavours. I highly recommend this quick and easy recipe to be saved for a rainy day, literally!
1 cup of yellow split peas / dahl
2 lbs pumpkin, cut into cubes
1 onion, minced
3 pimentos, minced
1 tablespoon of green seasoning *
1 cup of coconut milk
salt and pepper to taste
5 cups of water
1 teaspoon baking powder
- Soak split peas in some hot water with a teaspoon of baking powder for 15 minutes.**
- Bring 5 cups of water to a boil and add strained split peas to the pot. Lower the heat to medium high and allow to boil for 20 minutes.
- Add cubed pumpkin, onion, pimento, green seasoning, salt and pepper to taste. Boil on medium for 20 minutes.
- Check split peas to see if they are cooked by pressing a few grains. Once it crushes easily it is cooked.
- Turn off the heat and allow mixture to cool off the stove for 10 minutes. Then, using an immersion blender, blend the mixture until fully creamed. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can add the cooled mixture to a blender or food processor instead. If doing so, return mixture to the pot after blending.
- Turn on the heat on medium and allow the soup to reach a boil before adding coconut milk. Add more water if the soup is too thick for your preference or allow the soup to boil down to your preference.
*Green seasoning is a blend of fresh herbs including bandania or shadon beni, garlic, pepper, celery, chives and parsley. You can use more or less depending on your preference. However, keep in mind that more will change the creamy orange look of the soup.
**Soaking dried peas and beans not only shortens cooking time but makes the nutrients easier to absorb. Never skip this step!
Please feel free to leave any comments, questions or suggestions! I look forward to hearing from you