I LOVE baked potatoes!
There! I said it!
I have not made traditional fries in years because it’s so easy to get that crispy fried crunch right in the oven. It also creates a more wholesome end product that goes well as a side dish to just about anything!
The secret is not really a secret. many other food bloggers mention it but unless you try it yourself you really just can’t believe it!
To create crispy fried potatoes without actually frying them you need to pre-cook your potatoes. You can boil, bake or microwave them, it has the same effect. But you only want to start the cooking process. If you cook them too long at this stage they won’t crisp up.
For my recipe, I always boil the potatoes. The potatoes need to be completely cooled before baking. If you are in a hurry, just pop them into the refrigerator until cooled. Coat cooled potatoes in oil and bake at a high heat until crispy and browned. They get crispy before getting browned, but I love ’em browned!
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
salt to taste
- Slice the potatoes in wedges.
- Add potato wedges to boiling water for 3 minutes.
- Strain the potatoes and allow them to cool completely.
- Coat cooled potatoes with vegetable oil and put in a preheated oven at 400°F for 25 minutes, turning once halfway through. Use the top rack in your oven.
- Sprinkle salt on hot potatoes then allow the potatoes to cool before serving.