I came to rely on quick pasta dinners after coming home from 9 hour work days absolutely starved. On days I had to go to Port of Spain I would be having a dinner of 2 or 3 snacks in traffic on my way home, just to come home and collapse into bed. No matter how good you pack your lunch bag long days always have the potential to derail your best intentions.
Vegan pasta possibilities are endless, you just need to get creative with the flavours that you love. Personally, I love fresh fruits and vegetables that are just slightly cooked. My personal favourite are juicy tomatoes and this recipe has lots of that! I also used fresh local spinach, locally called bhaji or bhagi. Fresh flavours have no competition. When you use fresh vegetables it elevates your dish in an unbelievable way and you don’t need much seasonings as you won’t want to drown that taste out.
I chose to use Angel hair pasta because it cooks in four minutes. You can start cooking your veggies and your pasta at the same time and be done in FIVE MINUTES! Imagine that!
For this recipe, I sauteed mushrooms and spinach then added fresh tomatoes and oregano to create a light sauce which gets soaked up by that pasta.
100 grams angel hair pasta
3 baby bella mushrooms, sliced. Or 1 can of sliced mushrooms, drained well.
1 cup of spinach, about 20 leaves
3 tomatoes, diced
1 tablespoon oregano
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt to taste
- Boil pasta until al dente. Keep 1/4 cup of pasta water. You can boil your pasta at the same time you start to cook your vegetables.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the minced garlic to another pot. Heat until fragrant.
- Add mushrooms and cook until tender.
- Add spinach and cook until wilted.
- Add tomatoes, oregano and salt, stir everything together.
- Add 1 tablespoon of pasta water at a time. Cook until you have a thick sauce.
- Add the pasta and mix thoroughly.
- Serve hot.
*100 grams of long shaped pasta like I used in this recipe will give you 2 servings.
I love to hear from you so leave a comment, suggestion or request! 🙂