Recently, I’ve been ~blessed~ with lots of cassava (thanks Daddy :D).
I like cassava but it’s not my favourite root vegetable. So over the years I’ve always tried to get creative with cassava to make it a bit more enticing for myself. This is a new recipe that I only came up with this year and I already love it!
These rolls are sooo soft, it’s truly the closest thing to traditional rolls. This is a quick mix recipe, you don’t need to wait for the dough to rise and it puffs up in the oven nicely.
You can easily make this a gluten free dish by substituting gluten free flour, it works just as well (I used 2 tablespoons of oat flour).
If you are Vegetarian and not vegan, you can add 1/2 cup of cheese and a tablespoon of grated garlic to the mix to make Cheesey Cassava rolls.
Trust me, the only thing better than a hot cassava roll with melted butter is a hot cassava roll with Callaloo!
1 cup boiled and mashed cassava( remove the strings)
1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon green seasoning
1 tablespoon margarine
3 table spoon all purpose flour
salt to taste
- Boil and mash cassava while still hot.
- Add margarine while hot so that it melts. Add green seasoning and mix well.
- Add flour and baking powder and mix well.
- Taking a little bit in your hands, roll into a neat little ball.
- Place rolls 2 centimeters apart on a baking tray.
- Brush with melted margarine and bake for 12-18 minutes at 400°C. After 12 minutes, place on top rack of your oven to get a nice brown colour on your rolls.